Sunday 23 October 2011

A Knee Disaster

My husband is of the habit of using his knee to support pieces of wood that he is drilling into if he feels the scale of the job does not justifying getting out his work bench. He has been doing some DIY this weekend - part of which has involved drilling. When he shouted down the stairs to me that he had had a Knee Disaster my heart leapt into my throat in the way that hearts do when you are not quite sure what to expect and by the time I was powering up the stairs, my adrenaline was really pumping.

What my husband had actually shouted down the stairs to me was that he had had a Mini Disaster. Both of his knees were still intact (which is something of a pre-requisitite for a keen ballroom dancer). My wall was slightly less intact!

It was such a relief that I did not have blood and mangled cartilage to contend with that dealing with a mess of rubble on my carpet and having a fairly substantial hole to patch up seemed inconsequential.


My husband was full of apologies for his miscalculation with the drilling that had caused the problem  but for me it was reminder of how precious my loved ones are, how vulnerable human flesh is and how important it is to stay focussed on the things that really matter.

I will clean up the mess, I will fill the hole and repaint the wall so it is as good as it ever was. But most importantly, when I dance with my husband next week, I will appreciate it so much more.

1 comment:

  1. That's why I try and deter my husband from doing DIY. I'm terrified of him drilling a new hole in himself!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...