Tuesday 11 October 2011

RIP Steve Jobs and my Mac

Within a week of the death of genius innovator and Apple co-founder Steve Jobs,  my Mac has also come to an untimely end. In the case of my Mac, it has more to do with the water that I spilt on it than anything else but I like to think there is a cosmic connection.

The trouble is,  my husband doesn't like me spending time on the computer when he comes home from work. I don't blame him. We are always complaining that we don't get enough time together so we shouldn't waste the opportunities we have. However, if I am in the middle of something, I do like to finish it.

So I was working away on the computer and he was expressing his annoyance in the nicest possible way by being very attentive and asking if he could get me anything. What I really needed was five more uninterrupted minutes and then he could have had my complete undivided attention. I settled for a drink of water. There was further discussion about whether he should open a new bottle of sparkling water rather than give me the dregs of the old bottle that would have lost its fizz. I was really losing my train of thought by now and getting frustrated as well as feeling guilty for my preoccupation with something relatively trivial. I told him to just give me the dregs. He did. He plonked the flimsy 2 litre plastic bottle on the desk beside me - with the lid off. It was an accident waiting to happen. It happened.

I thought I'd got away with it. After all, there was only a little water in the bottle and I had reacted quickly to prevent too much of it going on the keyboard. Everything seemed OK until the lower case letters all started to appear as capitals and finally stopped appearing at all.

Although it was my clumsiness that caused the accident, my husband did feel partly responsible for leaving the lidless bottle there in the first place. He tried to fix things. Had any of his banging, shaking and blasting with a hairdryer actually worked, I would have hailed him a genius and been forever in his debt. Unfortunately, it wasn't the case.

My Mac sits in dark, mournful silence. A fitting tribute to Steve Jobs but a huge loss to me.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain, my gorgeous white MAC finally gave up on me after five years of very loyal service, I have treated myself to a new MacBook Air, but very disappointed that it isn't white :(

    RIP our lovely Mac's & the very talented & missed Steve Jobs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...